Thursday, January 28, 2010

at 11:38 PM Posted by Ian

I've come to India to study yoga at an ashram for one month. Click here for more photos. One week has passed and I already feel transformed. Everyday is calm, but busy. Here is my daily schedule:

Wake up at 5:30 AM. Chant in Sanskrit and meditate 6:00-7:30, tea break, learn to teach yoga 8:00-10:00, brunch, clean ashram 10:45-11:45, chanting class 12:00-1:00, nap, yoga philosophy class 2:00-3:30, tea break, do yoga 4:00-6:00, dinner, do homework, chant and meditate again 7:30-9:00 PM. It's a long day! All the classes are done in the room in the picture and when were not doing yoga we are sitting upright on the floor. Needless to say, my back is killing me.

The point of all this is to purify the body and mind; the body through yoga and healthy vegetarian food (which is incredible!); and the mind through yoga, cleaning, chanting, and meditation. The purification process is supposed to help us calm down and concentrate the mind, which in turn enables us to build energy, compassion, clarity, and discipline.

I wake up early with ease, take a cold shower without too much complaining, and then proceed to do a whole day of "boring" stuff in good spirits. You'd think I'd be going insane. What keeps me going is this growing feeling of calm, which at certain times during the day escalates into intense relaxation and joy; usually that moment is at the end of afternoon yoga class, or during evening meditation when the ache in my back suddenly disappears, my body doesn't want to move an inch, time passes quickly, and my only thought is the sensation of my breath moving in and out. I'm so curious to know how I'll feel in the weeks to come.

It also helps that the people here are really nice and interesting. They include an Indian singer, an American college student that was a drug addict, a friendly German guy that stutters constantly but still has the courage to become a yoga teacher, a Japanese girl that speaks Chinese, and other Indian guy that's been telling me all about Ayurvedic medicine. Our yoga teacher is a soft spoken man from Uruguay and the lead monk, the Swami, is a very articulate Indian man who deeply passionate about yoga philosophy and has a beautiful singing voice for chanting.

I'll end with an image that has stuck in my mind. A few days ago, at dusk, I wandered down to a quiet spot where two hammocks have been hung. The temperature was perfect, cool air with a slight breeze. To my right were the sounds of bugs and frogs, and to my left the Indian singer chatting in Hindi on his cell phone. In the distance I could barely hear monks chanting in the temple. I lay there and felt so calm.

1 comments:

  1. -Ian-

    This sounds so amazing! It sounds like you'll have lots to talk about when you get back and have a new appreciation for the world. Reading your post reminded me of one of my favorite sayings:

    "You say you have been to the moon. We find this hard to believe, but it's true. We say it is possible to reach enlightenment in one lifetime. You find this hard to believe, but it's true." ~Tibetan monk

    Perspective and allowing ourselves to be open to all the possibilities that life has to offer can change our life. Come back safe...I need some more Ian in my life.

    -christine